MicroStrategy Desktop Frequently Asked Questions
- What is MicroStrategy Desktop?
- What does MicroStrategy Desktop allow users to do?
- What can users do with the information they access using MicroStrategy Desktop?
- What are the benefits of using MicroStrategy Desktop?
- Are the reports created using MicroStrategy Desktop available to other products such as MicroStrategy Web?
- Can MicroStrategy Desktop access SAP data?
- Can MicroStrategy Desktop access operational data systems?
- How fast is the performance on MicroStrategy Desktop?
- How long does it take to learn MicroStrategy Desktop?
- Can I make my data and graphs look professional?
- Is it possible to display multiple reports, images and information on the same page?
- What printing capabilities are available in MicroStrategy Desktop?
- What subtotaling features does MicroStrategy Desktop contain?
- What are the minimum requirements for MicroStrategy Desktop?
- Is MicroStrategy Desktop available in other languages?
- How long does it take to get MicroStrategy Desktop up and running?
- How does MicroStrategy Desktop integrate with the rest of the MicroStrategy platform?
- What security is provided with MicroStrategy Desktop?
- To what extent can MicroStrategy Desktop be personalized?
- Is the MicroStrategy MDX engine certified by SAP?
- Can users join data across SAP BW Infocubes and Query Cubes?
- Does MicroStrategy provide predictive modeling capabilities commonly available in data mining tools?
- Can MicroStrategy incorporate best-of-breed data mining insight into mainstream business reports and analysis?
- Can MicroStrategy Desktop export data to other software applications?
- To save time, can many reports be run at the same time?
- Can reports be executed in off-peak periods?
1. What is MicroStrategy Desktop?
MicroStrategy Desktop™ is a Windows client-server software application that provides integrated monitoring, reporting, and analysis capabilities.
2. What does MicroStrategy Desktop allow users to do?
Using MicroStrategy Desktop, users can easily access and share critical corporate information they need to increase profit and improve business processes. The information found in databases can also be used to help manage customer relationships and enhance employee performance. Users can access any database, including SAP data, without having to learn technical database query (SQL) or multi-dimensional expression (MDX) syntax.
3. What can users do with the information they access using MicroStrategy Desktop?
Users can analyze the information by working with standard and more sophisticated functions such as average, summation, percentage contribution, standard deviation and net present value. Users will also find it easy to perform investigative reporting by using pivoting, sorting, slicing, and drilling to more detail with the click of a mouse. Users can also format reports to their specifications and view the data as intuitive charts and graphs to identify trends and anomalies quickly.
4. What are the benefits of using MicroStrategy Desktop?
Users can work independently of IT to compile and analyze information. The software is easy to use and provides context sensitive help, thus eliminating the need for extensive support and maintenance staff.
5. Are the reports created using MicroStrategy Desktop available to other products such as MicroStrategy Web?
Yes. Reports created using MicroStrategy Desktop are immediately available to other MicroStrategy products because of our centralized metadata architecture.
6. Can MicroStrategy Desktop access SAP data?
Yes. MicroStrategy Desktop uses an MDX generation engine designed to access multi-dimensional databases (MDDBs or MDX sources) such as those from SAP Business Intelligence.
7. Can MicroStrategy Desktop access operational data systems?
Yes. MicroStrategy Desktop users can use a new Operational SQL Engine to include data from any operational system using completely free-form SQL, including stored procedures and views. Users familiar with the source database tables and columns can also use the new Query Builder interface to define ad-hoc queries. The Query Builder generates SQL to access data directly from any operational system.
8. How fast is the performance on MicroStrategy Desktop?
MicroStrategy Desktop provides instant access and analysis of information. This high performance is enabled through Intelligence Cubes™, caches, incremental fetches and advanced analytic features.
9. How long does it take to learn MicroStrategy Desktop?
MicroStrategy Desktop preserves the look and feel of popular desktop software such as Microsoft® Windows® Explorer and Microsoft Office. As such, users are immediately comfortable with MicroStrategy Desktop. A customized interface using HTML can be created, simplifying navigation and report execution.
10. Can I make my data and graphs look professional?
Yes. Users can format create pixel-perfect reports for demonstrative presentations and print-perfect reports for printed presentations. Users can choose from more than 30 different charting options to present information in the best layout possible.
11. Is it possible to display multiple reports, images and information on the same page?
Yes, users can easily combine tables, images, graphs and other information onto the same page in a document. Visually impressive and compelling documents can be printed out and shared with corporate executives. Business users can now rearrange the organization of any report with simple drag and drop actions or by clicking on the new toolbar icons to get entirely new views of the data, all from the same report and without requiring assistance from IT.
12. What printing capabilities are available in MicroStrategy Desktop?
MicroStrategy Desktop offers advanced printing capabilities. Features include repeating row/column headers, customizable headers and footers, and a comprehensive page setup menu. Users can preview reports before sending it to the printer.
13. What subtotaling features does MicroStrategy Desktop contain?
MicroStrategy Desktop has more than 10 different subtotaling functions that aid analysis of the data. Subtotals can be presented at any level in the rows, columns and pages on the report.
14. What are the minimum requirements for MicroStrategy Desktop?
Minimum requirements are a computer with at least a 2GHZ Pentium- compatible CPU, 1GB of RAM and 1GB of hard disk.
15. Is MicroStrategy Desktop available in other languages?
MicroStrategy Desktop is available in English, French, German, Spanish, Korean, Italian, Swedish, Japanese, Portuguese, Danish, Dutch, Chinese (Simplified), and Chinese (Traditional).
16. How long does it take to get MicroStrategy Desktop up and running?
MicroStrategy Desktop installs in minutes and automatically presents a list of available MicroStrategy Intelligence Servers. Within an hour, the installation and setup are completed.
17. How does MicroStrategy Desktop integrate with the rest of the MicroStrategy platform?
MicroStrategy Desktop is the intuitive client-server interface used by business analysts and application developers. MicroStrategy Desktop interacts with the Intelligence Server to build metrics, create and format reports, and retrieve timely, accurate information to the desktop to enhance the decision-making process.
18. What security is provided with MicroStrategy Desktop?
MicroStrategy Desktop provides a host of security options to ensure that data is kept confidential and private. To facilitate easy deployment and minimal maintenance, MicroStrategy Desktop employs various authentication options for user access including: standard MicroStrategy authentication, database authentication, LDAP authentication, anonymous (guest) access, or integrated Windows authentication.
19. To what extend can MicroStrategy Desktop be personalized?
Each MicroStrategy Desktop user has a security profile defined by their administrator. This profile controls access to application functionality, specific reports or particular data for individual users or groups of users. The Desktop interface will adapt and display only what this user is allowed to see.
20. Is the MicroStrategy MDX engine certified by SAP?
Yes. This new Dynamic MDX Engine generates optimized MDX syntax that is fully certified with SAP BW using SAP's high performance BAPI interfaces.
21. Can users join data across SAP BW InfoCubes and Query Cubes?
Yes. Users can use MicroStrategy Desktop to create reports that access SAP data and join data across SAP BW InfoCubes and QueryCubes as well as access multiple instances of SAP BW at once.
22. Does MicroStrategy provide predictive modeling capabilities commonly available in data mining tools?
Yes. MicroStrategy offers the ability to build models natively within MicroStrategy Desktop, or import models from common third party tools such as SPSS, IBM, SAS, KXEN, and others. The specific model types that can be created in the MicroStrategy platform are: Linear Regression, Exponential Regression, Tree Regression, Logistic Regression, Clustering, and Decision Trees. In MicroStrategy Desktop 9, two additional models have been made available: Association Rules and Time Series models. All of these model types can also be imported from third party tools, as can Neural Networks, Support Vector Machines, RuleSets, and Ensembles of Models.
23. Can MicroStrategy incorporate best-of-breed data mining insight into mainstream business reports and analysis?
Yes. MicroStrategy’s Data Mining Services capability allows reports and analyses to include predictive capabilities in every MicroStrategy report or analysis. MicroStrategy includes the ability to import data mining models directly from best-of-breed data mining products from vendors like IBM, Teradata, SAS, and SPSS using the PMML or predictive modeling mark-up language standard.
24. Can MicroStrategy Desktop export data to other software applications?
You can export information from MicroStrategy Desktop to text files, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, PDF, HTML files, and Flash(for Report Services documents). The formatting of the tables and data are preserved when you export to these file formats.
25. To save time, can many reports be run at the same time?
MicroStrategy Desktop can execute multiple reports simultaneously. Report results are saved in a personal History folder when ready.
26. Can reports be executed in off-peak periods?
Reports can be attached to time-based or event-based schedules that are defined by the administrator. These schedules automatically trigger the report execution and place a notification message in the History folder on completion.