MicroStrategy Web Frequently Asked Questions
- What is MicroStrategy Web?
- What can a user do with MicroStrategy Web?
- Who can use MicroStrategy Web?
- What kind of information can users access with MicroStrategy Web?
- What are the benefits of MicroStrategy Web?
- How fast can MicroStrategy Web perform?
- How does MicroStrategy Web integrate with the rest of the MicroStrategy platform?
- How does MicroStrategy Web provide a secure environment?
- How long does it take to learn MicroStrategy Web?
- What types of graphing capabilities are available in MicroStrategy Web?
- To what extent can MicroStrategy Web be personalized?
- Is MicroStrategy Web available in other languages?
- Are the reports created in MicroStrategy Desktop available from MicroStrategy Web?
- Can I make my reports and graphs look professional?
- Is it possible to display multiple reports, images and information on the same page?
- What printing capabilities are available in MicroStrategy Web?
- In which format can MicroStrategy Web users view report information?
1. What is MicroStrategy Web?
MicroStrategy Web is a highly interactive, easy to use interface for reporting, analysis and continuous monitoring of all business data.
2. What can a user do with MicroStrategy Web?
- View highly visual and interactive scorecards, dashboards and enterprise reports
- Design and refine highly formatted reports in full What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG) mode through MicroStrategy Web’s zero-footprint interface
- Report, analyze and monitor in the same Web interface
- Experience full interactivity for all reports and scorecards
- Rearrange the organization of any report by simple actions
- Manipulate data by sorting, pivoting, filtering, drilling, or creating new calculations
- Perform OLAP analysis directly on tables embedded within a larger scorecard, dashboard or enterprise report
- Subscribe to alerts
3. Who can use MicroStrategy Web?
All of an organization’s employees, as well as all its partners, suppliers and customers can easily navigate and analyze information using MicroStrategy Web in order to derive insight from vital data and make better decisions every day. Since MicroStrategy Web has Windows-like functionality, users find very easy to navigate the interface and use its tools.
4. What kind of information can users access with MicroStrategy Web?
All MicroStrategy Web scorecards, dashboards and reports may contain data from a relational data warehouse, a transactional database, an operational datamart, SAP BW or even flat files such as comma-delimited and Microsoft® Excel files. In combination with MicroStrategy Report Services, MicroStrategy Web enables data from one or all of these sources to be combined in a single report in a way that is completely transparent to business users.
5. What are the benefits of MicroStrategy Web?
The key benefits of MicroStrategy Web include:
- Enjoy lowest total cost of ownership
- Manipulate data to make informed business decisions from insightful analysis
- Create reports and apply changes to design swiftly using the WYSIWYG feature
- Collaborate and communicate critical business data with colleagues easily
- Access all scorecards, dashboards & reports in a single Web interface
- Present business information, from a variety of enterprise data sources, transparently on a single point of access
- Benefit from a platform application that is easy to maintain and deploy
- Incorporate BI with existing web-based applications quickly and easily
- Provide your users with a BI tool so easy to use that they can start analyzing critical business data right away
6. How fast can MicroStrategy Web perform?
The MicroStrategy Web architecture is designed to efficiently utilize the processing power of workstation computers and modern browsers while remaining zero-footprint and browser independent. Its innovative AJAX architecture provides great performance while making user interactions much more interactive, intuitive and responsive.
7. How does MicroStrategy Web integrate with the rest of the MicroStrategy platform?
MicroStrategy Web is the unified Web interface for the MicroStrategy BI platform. Through this single, highly personalized interface, depending on role, functions and privileges, users can perform all five major styles of BI: Scorecards and Dashboards, Enterprise Reporting, OLAP Analysis, Advanced and Predictive Analysis and Alerts and Proactive Notification.
8. How does MicroStrategy Web provide a secure environment?
Security experts recommend double firewalls for the highest security. This architecture efficiently protects corporate data from external attacks. MicroStrategy Web capabilities satisfy the most strict security requirements such as those needed by the Finance and Healthcare industry verticals.
9. How long does it take to learn MicroStrategy Web?
Business users of all skill levels can immediately start using MicroStrategy Web owing to its user-friendly design, simple and intuitive interface. Windows-like functionality allows users to quickly familiarize themselves with the tools, techniques and formats and create highly formatted reports.
10. What types of graphing capabilities are available in MicroStrategy Web?
MicroStrategy Web offers all the major graphing capabilities available in Microsoft Excel. There are more than 100 different graph styles available which can be precisely formatted by using the formatting toolbars and editors.
11. To what extent can MicroStrategy Web be personalized?
Each MicroStrategy Web user has a unique security profile. Access to some application functionality, or specific reports and data can be defined on a per-user or group basis. The MicroStrategy Web pages will adapt and display only what each user is allowed to see in the current context. When a business user right mouse clicks on a report or folder name, he or she can perform common file-management tasks such as copy, move, rename, or create a personal shortcut. When a business user is interacting with a scorecard, dashboard or enterprise report, right mouse click will provide options such as drilling, renaming, changing displays, copy, paste and format. As always, only the options which are permitted for that user and which are applicable to the current context will be available.
12. Is MicroStrategy Web available in other languages?
MicroStrategy Web is available in English, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Italian, Swedish and Portuguese.
13. Are the reports created in MicroStrategy Desktop available from MicroStrategy Web?
Yes. Reports created in MicroStrategy Desktop are immediately available to MicroStrategy Web users, without the need to perform any additional actions.
14. Can I make my reports and graphs look professional?
Yes. A wide array of formatting capabilities directly from the Web interface, the WYSIWYG feature and powerful tools allow users to create reports and graphs that look professional with pixel-perfect quality.
15. Is it possible to display multiple reports, images and information on the same page?
Yes. Users can easily combine tables, images, graphs and other information onto the same page in a document. Visually impressive and compelling documents can be printed out and shared with corporate executives. Business users can rearrange the organization of any report with simple drag and drop actions or by clicking on the new toolbar icons to get entirely new views of the data, all from the same report and without requiring assistance from IT.
16. What printing capabilities are available in MicroStrategy Web?
MicroStrategy Web offers advanced printing capabilities. Features include repeating row/column headers, customizable headers and footers, pixel-perfect design and a comprehensive page setup menu. Users can also preview reports before sending it to the printer.
17. In which format can MicroStrategy Web users view report information?
MicroStrategy Web users can view reports in Flash, PDF, Excel, and in HTML formats. Furthermore, MicroStrategy Web can be integrated with MicroStrategy Mobile and users can enjoy pixel-perfect printing capabilities.